Wednesday, May 10

internet is like smoking

This post is about the future; or the internet; or smoking and Collumbus; I'm not really sure.


A few days ago, a friend of mine was telling me about a "one half future manifesto" he'd read on the net (I don't have a link - sory!).

Anyway, it got me thinking about the internet ... I mean, we all - lots of us at least - are so very sure that it is the way of the future, and I keep wondering: is this like smoking?

Let me explain:
Smoking was brought to the "civilized world" by Columbus, after his success in reaching America. For a few years it was considered: first trafficking with the devil, then just a weird activity, then the best think since bipedal walking (sounds familliar?)

Then, they discovered the dark side of it: causing illness, the (close to one hundred) toxic substances contained in cigarette smoke (out of the top of my head: Carbon Monoxyde, Ni, Acetone, and Nicotine) and last - but not least - causing dependence.

Now, about the internet: we've allready seen the best of it ( like having information at your fingertips, sharing pictures and my weblog for just a few select examples ;) ). Some persons in the scientific community are also starting to point out about it creating a dependency stronger than druggs.

But ... what about dimnishing communication skills? What about online fraud? What about it's influence on the masses? Don't know what I'm talking about? Take an educated guess!

What's more, like smoking, it creates more problems than it solves (think "identity theft" now, and the way it was 50 years ago, and you'll get a glimpse of what I'm talking about).

My personal take is that we have't seen the half of it ... yet (and I stil enjoy it dayly, thank you very much!)



I think the big great internet will transform into a nieche market, if it's infrastructure won't receive a fatal blow in the mean-time (think energy crisis if you will); I mean ... if it isn't allready there.



just my .02 on it.

(and that's 'nuff saidon the subject)
utnapistim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice one my friend...
Bogdan B