Wednesday, December 6

past composition guidelines

I remember having a chat a while ago, with a friend.

We were talking about photography as he was looking over some of my photos.


He kept asking me what I had been trying to say with this or that picture, and while I understood what he meant with the question, it was annoying:
I hadn't been trying to say anything as I had taken those shots.


Now, it's different; I guess in a way, my focus started shifting from following composition guidelines to the story in front of the camera.

I'm not trying to say that all of a sudden, I'm "photographing stories" or something like that.

If anything, I'm trying to focus on compositions having something to say: elements coming together or contrasting in some way, pictures of something happening - be it a story, description of a mood or something different.


Back then, when composing my shots (as much as I can say I did), I kept looking for obeying what I considered "the technical rules" (rule of thirds, golden ratio, diagonal lines and all that jazz).

Then I read somewhere that "there's no such things as rules in photography", so I tried seeing them more as guidelines.

I often obeyed them (and tried deliberately breaking them), but my shots still had nothing much to say.


It's not that all of a sudden, my shots are very expressive; More like ... lately this is what I keep looking for.

I'm more interested nowadays in - for example - creating a relationship between subject and it's environment than in following any established composition guidelines.


And my pictures keep getting better ...

... err ... I think.

No comments: