Monday, January 8

psychology and meditation (some ramblings)

A few days ago (was it on Friday?) we had an interesting chat during lunch-break about subconscious, super-conscious, ego, feelings and all that jazz.

It wasn't a scientific approach or anything of the sort and I kept telling the guys that "one could somehow harmonize the primal needs with the moral percepts" (or whatever they are) to "get to a state of no-conflict, in the mind".

I took some time to think about our chat and decided that I was wrong on two levels:

First, while I believe strongly that the mind can reach a state of no conflict, it is definitely not "by harmonizing the primal needs with the moral percepts" (and besides, that sounds complicated, clinical and unrealistic anyway). It is the nature of the mind to be conflicted, so whatever the answer is, it is not in what the mind does.

Second, what I actually wanted in that conversation was not to tell my friends that "the mind can reach a state of no conflict"; Instead I wanted to know if psychology acknowledges the state of मोक्ष(Moksha) and if so, what it makes of it. I'm not sure at this point if it is not acknowledged or we simply didn't touch that in our conversation.

Besides, we're no experts anyway (well ... I'm not in any case).


Pondering on the net,
utnapistim

No comments: