Here's what I learned for the next time:
- you can improvise an oil-collecting pan out of empty plastic water bottles, with a side cut off, but if you do, expect some oil to spill around them :(
- allow for an hour (or two) more than you estimated it will take
- follow the instructions in the manual and there's nothing to it
- engine oil dissolves the rubber of surgical gloves, and stains clothing (though, I'm sure it will come off ... eventually :D)
- if you're doing this in the late evening, get an additional light source (but not open flame :D), before even beginning to work, even if "it's still light outside"