Friday, May 25

on blocking ads

It would seem that over time I have developed a personal policy for blocking ads. If I had to, I would associate it with the attitude:
Don't call us, we'll call you
What is this about?

Simple: I tolerate ads as long as I can ignore them.

I know that is not what the advertisers want (I believe they want me to see the ad and decide I will use only them for doing their type of business from now on and "'till death do us part", but they don't get to decide).

Basically, there are two types of ads (and this applies to the online world, TV, the huge banners on the highway and newspapers ads to the same degree): the ones I want to see (funny ads, original ads, the ones with a smart twist, the ones that make you think et caetera, et caetera) and the annoying ones.

For this reason, for example, when reading an article, I will filter all ads that take my attention away from what I'm reading (flash overlays on the page, blinking banners or banners in color schemes that clash horribly with the rest of the layout).

I actually give them attention: I take the time to open the list of blockable resources on the website search which of the resources the annoying banner is, then create a generic filter to make sure I will never see content from that ad publisher again.

For the same reason, I never filter the ads in google search results for example: they're out of the way if you're not interested and are actually relevant to what you're looking for, when you are interested.

I actually got my ScubaPro Xtender dive computer from LeisurePro, found through a google search sponsored ad.

Shameless plug (since we're on the subject):
For whoever's interested in filtering idiotic banners off their screen, install firefox and AdBlock Plus extension.

No comments: